Boursin Mashed Potatoes are the easiest, creamiest, perfect elevated-yet-homey potato side dish to adorn your table this holiday season. Yukon gold potatoes are mashed with butter, milk & Boursin cheese until perfectly creamy with an intense infusion of roasted garlic & herb flavour, thanks to the Boursin cheese. It’s the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any time you’re craving the ultimate comfort dinner!
OK, it’s true these aren’t authentic, traditional Mediterranean mashed potato recipes!
But they’re a family favourite and I’ve yet to serve this recipe without glowing reviews, and how doesn’t want glowing reviews about having the BEST mashed potatoes during the holiday feast! These potatoes are so delicious you might trying to find an excuse just to buy a package of Boursin cheese so you can get your Boursin Mashed potato fix. Warning these mashed potatoes are addictive!
Why you’ll love these creamy mashed potatoes!
These from-scratch Boursin mashed potatoes are…
- EASY. Like all mashed potato recipes these mashed potatoes come together in two simple steps. Boil until tender, & mash in the flavour.
- SERIOUSLY FLAVORFUL. These boursin mashed potatoes are creamy, & buttery, infused with rich roasted garlic & herb flavor. The perfect elevated-yet-homey potato side dish without needing to roast a couple bulbs of garlic!
- A HOLIDAY CLASSIC. What is a holiday feast without mashed potatoes? These Boursin mashed potatoes take your mashed potato game to a whole new level. Plus, they are perfect for dousing with tons of gravy!
The result? Garlicky mashed potato perfection!
What is Boursin Cheese?
If you know about Boursin cheese, you know! If you don’t know about this fancy cheese yet, it’ll quickly become your weekly splurge purchase. Boursin Cheese was invented by a French cheesemaker named Francois Boursin in the 1950s. It’s a soft fresh flavoured cheese, the original flavour is the garlic herb, but it comes in many seasonal flavours too.
What does Boursin Cheese taste like?
Tia Keenan from Bon appetite best described this cheese as creamy & light, as if cream cheese got high on nitrous oxide, similar to the soft serve of the ice cream world with its cloud-like whipped butter texture. The flavour is the ancestral predecessor of ranch dressing, with its garlicky foundation taken to the edge of too salty. The herbs—astonishingly only chives and parsley—act as the level-headed friend who tells everyone to chill out when the party gets too wild.
Tricks & Tips for Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- The best potato for mashed potatoes is the Yukon Gold, they have the most insane tender & buttery texture, which makes them perfect for mashed potatoes.
- It calls for a full package of roasted garlic boursin cheese, which is swirled into the potatoes just before serving & adds deep, rich, & caramelly garlic flavour to every single bite.
- If you’re all about the super creamy mashed potatoes, use a potato ricer to achieve an ultra-creamy texture.
- Don’t skimp on the butter! Whatever you do, please, please, please don’t skimp on butter when you make mashed potatoes! I know for many of you following the Mediterranean diet you may be tempted to swap out the butter for olive oil, but these Potatoes need butter, plain & simple. Butter adds so much flavour & gives mashed potatoes a super creamy texture. Olive oil doesn’t do this potato recipe justice! Don’t worry a healthier Mediterranean-styled potato recipe is coming soon!
Boursin Mashed Potatoes
- 4 lbs potatoes
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pkg Boursin cheese
- salt, as needed
- 1 Tbsp parsley (optional) finely chopped
- Peel and cut potatoes into 2-inch pieces. Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with cold water, then add the bouillon cube.
- Bring the potatoes to a gentle rolling boil and allow the potatoes to cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Once the potatoes are tender, drain and place back into the pot. Add butter and Boursin cheese. Begin mashing the potatoes, then slowly pour in a bit of the milk while using a potato masher to reach desired consistency. (you may not need all of the milk)
- Adjust the seasoning (A.K.A. the salt & pepper taste test) and Serve in your favourite serving bowl. A sprinkle of parsley makes for a beautiful presentation, but it's optional.