These Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs are the perfect summer meal. The chicken breast is marinated with a combination of classic Middle Eastern spices, garlic, lemon, & olive oil. It's then threaded on skewers with peppers and onions, and grilled until perfectly tender & charred. These grilled chicken kabobs are equally easy to prepare & impressive to serve, perfect for weeknight grilling, backyard BBQs, or the ultimate Father's Day dinner!
There's nothing more irresistible in the summer than perfect cooked grilled chicken on skewers during the summer. The flavour of these Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs are inspired by the flavours of the Levantine region. They're famous for their love of smokey, perfectly spiced meats & in this grill-loving region. These tender, juicy grilled chicken kabobs, often referred has Shish Kabobs, are a big part of the Levantine-styled bbq.
This particular recipe takes classic Lebanese ingredients like garlic, fresh lemon, spices & olive oil, & adds them to the grill to create an epic Levantine-style grilled chicken. Grilled Chicken Kabobs are perfect for easy summertime entertaining or weekend grilling, & it’s a whole lot easier to make than you’d ever guess – I promise! My tried & true recipe will help you make the perfect grilled chicken kabobs every time!
Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs Recipe Highlights
I have a feeling you'll make this chicken kabob recipe all summer long. It's...
- JUICY & TENDER. The Mediterranean-styled marinade infuses the chicken breast with extra moisture right from the start. No bland or dry chicken here! 🙌🏼
- PERFECTLY CHARRED. Grilled chicken kabobs have the kind of deliciously charred & crispy chicken and vegetables you can only achieve on a grill. It’s seriously the best!
- SIMPLE & EASY. chicken kabobs do require a little bit of planning in advance but nearly ALL the prep time is completely inactive until it's time to grill.
The best flavours of the Levant, right in your backyard! ♥️ Read on to learn more about how to make Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs & get cooking!
What is a Shish Kabob?
Shish kabob is a dish that originates from Turkey. The name of the dish is derived from the Turkish şiş, meaning a spit or skewer, and kebab, mutton or lamb that has been marinated in a combination of spices. Variants of this dish can be found throughout the Middle East, Balkans, and the Caucasus.
What you'll need to make these shish kabobs?
These delicious kabobs are made with a few summer staples and are loaded with flavour. I absolutely love when there are tender, sweet bell peppers served with my grilled chicken, so we’re using all three colourful shades of bell peppers in the recipe, too! These are the basics you’ll need:
- Chicken: you’ll need one kilo of boneless, skinless chicken breast.
- Veggies: we’re packing in all of the fresh summer produce with red, yellow, orange bell pepper, and of course loads of red onion. But feel limited to my suggestions, pack in all the summer fresh the garden has to offer such as cherry tomatoes, zucchini, & mushrooms.
- Marinade: the marinade is what makes these kabobs extra special!
How to grill Mediterranean chicken kabobs
- Prep your grill & kabobs. Preheat your grill to medium-high, direct heat and place your veggies & marinated chicken pieces onto 8 large skewers. Leave a small space between the ingredients so they cook evenly.
- Grill the kabobs. Place each skewer on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. Keep the lid closed while they’re grilling! Grill until the chicken is fully cooked and the veggies are tender.
- Serve ’em up. Remove the kabobs from the grill and serve with your fav sides!
Tips On Making the best Kabobs
- Don't rush the marinade. The key to juicy & flavourful chicken is the marination time. You must let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes, however, the longer it sits the more flavourful it will become.
- Use Large chunks of meat and vegetables. Whenever making skewers for the BBQ you need to make sure the meat and vegetables are large enough that they won't fall through the grates. If using chicken thighs you'll have to cut larger meat and fold it when placed on the skewer.
- Leave space on the skewer. It's tempting to ready pack the chicken & vegetables onto the skewer but you have to resist the urge or else unevenly cooked kabobs.
- Marinate on the skewer. If you're using the wooden skewer you can skip the soaking by marinating the kabobs on the skewers you'll need an extra-large ziplock back for this trick. Simply thread all of the chicken and vegetables onto the skewers. Set aside. MIs the marinade ingredient together then pour it into the ziplock bag. Add the skewers then close the bag and make sure all of the marinated coats the kabobs. place in the fridge until ready to use.
Delicious recipes to pair with these kabobs
IF YOU LOVE MEDITERRANEAN RECIPES, subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, & Instagram for the latest updates and recipes.
Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs
- 4 chicken breast boneless, skinless, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 3 bell peppers (any colour) cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 2 red onions cut into 1½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced & zest
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tablespoon paprika ground
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- ½ tsp cardamon ground
- ¼ tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper
- ½ tsp cumin ground
- 1 teaspoon boullion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, spices, and salt. Add the chicken pieces to the mixture and mix well to combine. Allow the chicken to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat, and grease the grill with vegetable oil.
- When ready to grill, thread the chicken onto the skewers, with the vegetables in between the chicken kabobs. Pour any leftover marinade on top of the chicken kabobs. Makes 8 large skewers.
- Grill the chicken kabobs until fully cooked, golden brown and slightly charred⏤about 10-15 minutes. Make sure to turn the skewers every couple minutes to allow for even cooking.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and serve with your favourite sides, if desired.
Leave a Reply