This healthy broccoli salad with ranch dressing is my absolute go-to family picnic recipe during the summer months! The broccoli is tossed with peppers and chickpea with a creamy & tangy grown-up style ranch dressing with a healthy twist. Made with a few simple ingredients & prepped in 15 minutes or less, the salad is a quick & easy side dish for any weeknight dinner, potluck, picnic, or backyard get-together this summer.
What makes this Healthy Broccoli Salad over the top is the addition of kefir & sour cream to the ranch dressing. It’s tangy, tart, bright, & it makes a deliciously creamy base for the ranch dressing with no mayo involved! I eat it all year round but will admit I love it the most during the warm months⏤it’s truly the tastiest, easiest salad!⏤so I knew I had to share it here on DM just in time for summer.
Why You’re Going to LOVE this Salad
- FILLED WITH GOOD-FOR-YOU INGREDIENTS. This ranch dip is loaded with probiotic & prebiotic goodness, thanks to Kefir, sour cream and loads of veggies. (and no mayo in sight!).
- QUICK & EASY. It’s light, flavourful, & super quick to throw together. Made with pantry staple ingredients in 15 minutes or less, & it’s make-ahead & meal prep-friendly, too!
- THE PERFECT SIDE. This recipe is just as versatile as it is easy to throw together. You can pair it with any dinners from the grill, but it’s also a beloved dish to share at BBQs, picnics, & potlucks.
This healthy broccoli salad recipe couldn’t be simpler! You’re just a few minutes away from a bowlful of deliciousness!
- Ranch dressing: kefir, sour cream, garlic, onion powder, parsley, dill, and lemon juice.
- Broccoli: I used a medium-size broccoli head for this salad. I didn’t use the stem for this recipe.
- Shallots: I love onions in my salads, however they can easily overtake a recipe. If you find they’re over powering try soaking them in water or in vingar before adding to the salad. This also a useful tip if you have young children eating the salad, as onions tend to be unappealing for them.
- Red Peppers: These give the salad the prefect amount of sweet crunchiness to the salad. Feel free to add more or even different colours to the salad.
- Chickpeas: The most famous of plant protent and the most delish in option. Good ol’ canned chickpeas are great in this recipe.
How to Make this Creamy Picnic Classic
- Mix together the dressing. The dressing should be slightly thick, but don’t worry after adding it to the salad it will start to thin out⏤besides it tastes the best when it’s a bit thick.
- Toss all of the salad ingredients into a large toss, pour in the dressing and mix everything well.
- Transfer the salad to the serving bowl and enjoy. It doesn’t get easier than this!
Looking for More Summer Salad Ideas?
- Authtentic Fattoush Salad
- Mediterranean Detox Salad
- Simple White Bean Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Creamy Ranch Broccoli Salad
- 2 cup broccoli cut into florets
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1½ cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 shallot* finely diced (optional)
Kefir Ranch Dressing
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup kefir
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley finely diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill finely diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder (Don't use garlic salt)
- 1 tsp onion powder (Don't use onion salt)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper freshly ground
- Prepare the dressing. Place all of the kefir ranch dressing ingredients into a medium-sized bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Assemble the broccoli salad: Add the broccoli florets, red bell pepper, chickpeas, & shallots to a large bowl. Pour the dressing over top⏤taste & season with additional salt & black pepper as desired.
- Serve. I like to transfer the salad to a nicer serving bowl once everything is combined for a prettier presentation. This step is optional.