We all need a simple, hearty salad to whip up, don’t we? This simple white bean salad is just that! A few simple ingredients from your pantry, and you are good to go. No-fuss is a must for simple everyday family recipes.
This simple white bean salad is jam packed with bright mediterranean flavours!
Brimming with fresh herbs, juicy tomatoes and crunchy cucumbers, this is the perfect way to dress-up these simple white beans. Let’s take those boring canned white beans and make them really, really interesting! or better yet, make them really, really delicious!
It’s no secret that beans are a foundational part of the Mediterranean diet. Luckily for us, there’s no shortage of Mediterranean bean recipes.
Did you know that there are over 400 different varieties of beans?!
That’s a lot of beans to explore, isn’t it? Fret, not my friend, the Mediterranean way is all about simple, accessible ingredients⏤there’s no need to go hunting for exotic beans. Our focus is always on local and attainable food varieties.
Mediterranean rule of thumb:
If you don’t have it, use something else.
Chickpeas, fava beans, white beans, gigante beans, & borlotti beans are the most popular varieties found along the Mediterranean. Thankfully, these varieties are also widespread and accessible in the west too.
What do You Need to Make this Simple White Bean Salad?
If you’ve only recently started getting into bean-based salads, you’ll be delighted to find out that it doesn’t take a lot of this salad to feel satisfied. The few ingredients you need are very straight forward and customizable, which is why you need to add this salad to your weekly rotation!
- A can or two of white beans
- Tomatoes: any kind will do
- Onion: green, red or white, they’re all good
- Cucumber: mini or English are the best options
- Olive oil: it wouldn’t be a Mediterranean dish without it
- Herbs: Mix it up! Any herb will do
- Spice: I chose cumin & mint, but don’t feel limited to only these
- Lemon juice or vinegar: Use what you have! You might not always have fresh lemons, try a good vinegar instead.
What’s to love about this white bean salad?
A better question is what’s not to love? However, if you still need some convincing as to why you’re going to love these dressed-up white beans, besides the fact that they take almost no time at all, here is why:
- Simple pantry ingredients
- Cheap to make
- Full of protein & fibre.
- Great for lunches and meal prep
- Perfect quick dinner⏤or better yet, a quick dinner saver!
- Tastes delicious and oh, so satisfying
How do You Make a Simple White Bean Salad?
Very simply! It just takes 5 steps.
- Open a can of beans and wash them really well, toss into a bowl.
- Chop up some veggies & herbs, add to the beans
- Whisk up a simple dressing
- Pour, stir and serve! Pour the dressing over the bean mixture, and stir to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Enjoy! Eat straight out of the mixing bowl or make it fancy and use your favourite shallow serving dish.
Frequently asked Questions
Can you use other kinds of beans?
Of course, you can! I used white kidney beans for this recipe, which are also known as cannellini beans. Feel free to try great northern beans, navy beans, pinto beans, red kidney beans, or even chickpeas. This recipe is extremely adaptable.
Can you use dried beans instead of canned beans?
I used canned beans because they’re easy, convenient and ready to use. If you choose to use dried beans, you’ll have to cook them first so that they are soft.
How long does it keep?
This simple white bean salad is a great recipe for meal prep. You can store this salad in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days. I have found it’s best not to add the tomatoes until just before serving, the tomatoes release a lot of juice, and you’ll be left with a cold soup instead of a salad.
Quick lunch ideas
This white bean salad is a great main meal or side dish, but it’s also perfect for an easy grab-and-go healthy lunch. You can make a batch today and enjoy it throughout the week.
You can also use this recipe as a base for a nourish bowl. Use the beans as a base; add chicken, shrimp, or whatever protein you would like.
Do we share the love of beans?
I love eating them straight out of the can. You know how it is—when the veggie chopping is taking too long. You just can’t wait for your meal to finish, so you stick your hand in the beans just to nibble on a few; however, you end up having to open another can because you just ate half of it⏤or maybe that’s just me! 🤷🏼♀️ If you’re a bean lover and secret muncher, I’d love to hear how you loved this salad, ⏤that is, if you have any beans left! Share a photo and tag us on Instagram using @deliciously.mediterranean and #deliciouslymediterranean so that we can see your bean loving ways! Happy eating!
We all need a simple, hearty bean salad to whip up, don’t we? This simple white bean salad is just that! A few simple ingredients from your pantry, and you are good to go. No-fuss is a must for simple everyday family recipes.
- 2 cans white beans (cannellini)
- 1 English cucumber or 4 mini cucumbers, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp mint, dried
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/4 cup lemon, juice
- 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2oz Greek Feta cheese, optional
- Rinse the beans. Open the can of beans and pour them into a colander. Place the colander under warm running water and gently rub the starch off the beans. Drain really well. Put the beans into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Combine beans with the veggies and herbs. Toss all the chopped vegetables and herbs into the large bowl of beans. You don’t need to mix everything yet; unless you really want to.
- Whip up the dressing. Using a small jar with a lid, add all of the dressing ingredients. Seal the lid and give it a good shake. shake, shake, shake…shake that dressing. 😂
- Mix it all together. Pour the salad dressing on to the salad and mix everything together. I like to allow the salad to sit for 10 minutes before eating but it’s not necessary you can eat it right away.
- Garnish, Serve or store. If you want to fancy now’s the time! Transfer the salad into a nice serving bowl and sprinkle on the feta cheese. Or place the salad into 4 containers and top with feta, close the containers and store in the fridge to enjoy later.
Notes for Reserving:
Allow the salad to reach room temperature before eating. I find the salad tastes best at room temperature or slightly warm.
Store the tomatoes separately from the salad if your planing on storing for later.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: bean salad, mediterranean diet, easy meals, meal prep