Roasted Butternut Squash Salad is the most delicious way to celebrate the fall season; this salad is packed full of my favourite Mediterranean flavours of dates, pistachio, pomegranates and warm spices. So let’s celebrate the harvest with this very colourful salad.
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
Looking for a delicious salad that will look beautiful enough for a holiday table yet simple enough for the everyday? This Roasted Butternut Squash Salad is just that salad; it’s beautiful, tasty, and simple.
I created this salad with all my favourite Mediterranean flavours, tart pomegranates, gooey sweet dates, earthy pistachios, and savoury, creamy butternut squash bathed in a blend of warming spices like cumin, cinnamon, and coriander.
If that wasn’t enough, I piled on the greens and rounded off the salad with a sweet and savoury date dressing. It’s a perfect autumn BOWL-OF-YUM!
What you’ll need to make this roasted butternut squash salad
- Salad greens: I used a spring mix and baby kale for this salad; you can choose any kind of greens you wish.
- Whole Grains: You can use any whole grains in this salad; I chose wheat berries; however, brown rice, wild rice, and quinoa would make excellent swaps.
- Butternut Squash and Spices: Swap out the butternut for pumpkin, acorn squash or any other squash. The Spice blend of cumin, cinnamon, and coriander compliments all varieties of squash.
- Topping components: dates, pomegranate, and pistachio give the salad a delicious Mediterranean vibe; swap these ingredients will completely change the flavour of the salad. However, you can swap the pistachios for roasted pumpkin seeds.
- Date Dressing: My date dressing uses date syrup, which may be difficult to find. If you can’t find date syrup, toss 1-2 dates into the dressing and mix the dressing in a blender instead of a jar.
Tip for Making the Butternut Squash Salad
- Prepare the wheat berries ahead of time. Wheat berries take a long time to cook, but they store really well in the fridge or freezer.
- Roast the squash ahead of time. Try making this ahead of time and storing it in the fridge; just heat it in the microwave before assembling the salad.
- Pistachios are best when roasted. When you roast the pistachios, they become greener; it also improves the texture and taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you serve this salad warm or cold? This salad can be served warm or cold, but I prefer it warm or at room temperature.
Can you make this salad ahead of time? Most of the ingredients can be prepared ahead of time and assembled just before serving. If you want, you can completely assemble the salad and store the dressing separately.
How do I store this salad? Store the salad in the fridge with the dressing separate. The salad will last up to 3 days in the fridge.
LOOKING FOR MORE SALAD WARM SALAD IDEAS? TRY THESE OUTPrint
This delicious roasted butternut squash salad is filled with pomegranates, dates, greens, and a sweet-savoury date dressing. It’s hearty enough to be its own meal, but it’s also a delicious holiday side dish.
- 2 cups butternut squash, 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 cup wheat berries, cooked
- 4 cups mix spring greens
- 3 dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup pistachio, roasted
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1 tbsp date syrup
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 small garlic clove, mashed
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet.
- Prepare the Butternut for baking. Add the chopped butternut squash into a large bowl, add the olive oil and spices. MIx well. Pour the spiced butternut on to the baking sheet. Do not overcrowd the squash on the baking sheet⏤overcrowding will cause the vegetable to steam instead of roasting—Bake for 20 minutes.
- Mix the dressing. Meanwhile, add all the salad dressing ingredients into a small mason jar. Place the lid on the jar and shake vigorously. Set aside.
- Assemble the Salad. Using a large shallow bowl place in the greens, then wheat berries, butternut squash and dates. Pour on the dressing, give everything a mix. Top with pomegranates and pistachios
- Category: Salad
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Fall salad, roasted butternut, holiday table, easy meals