If you have some overripe bananas on your counter, these healthy Banana Oat Muffins are a delicious way to use them! They’re made with a combination of oat flour and rolled oats with no butter and no refined sugar. So they’re nutritious, wholesome, and so satisfying for breakfast, a snack or even for dessert!
Banana Oat muffins
This timeless recipe can be enjoyed as a breakfast or a nourishing snack at any time of the year. Banana Oat Muffins are the perfect grab and go breakfast that will keep your hunger at bay until noon! These muffins are not only easy to make, but they’re also made of simple pantry ingredients such as oat flour, rolled oats, and walnuts for the earthy mouthfeel. The bananas and honey go together perfectly, creating the perfect amount of sweetness for these delicious muffins.
Why you’ll love these Banana Oat Muffins
- Easy & wholesome
- Not overly sweet, so the banana flavour shines
- Oats add a delicious, whole grain texture.
- Naturally gluten-free
- Naturally refined sugar-free (if you omit the chocolate chips)
- REALLY REALLY YUMMY
- Use spotty black bananas for the best results. You’re looking for the totally unappealing to eat kind of bananas. Their soft texture and broken down starch allow you to mix the banana much more easily. So you’ll end up with more banana flavour and more sweetness.
- Start with the oven temperature at 425°F and then lower it to help the muffins rise. The initial burst of hot air springs up the top of the muffins quickly, making them rise nice and high, and you’ll have light, fluffy muffins. (I use this trick with all muffins 😉)
- These muffins taste best on the first day of baking. On the next day, they become more dense but still delicious and more filling. Pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds, add some butter, and you’ll have a delicious breakfast muffin.
Banana Oat Muffins
- 2 cups instant oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips optional
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 large bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat Oven to 425ºF. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners or coat the muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Grind Oats. Place the 2 cups of instant oats into a blender or food processor and voila! oat flour.
- Combine the dry ingredients. In a large bowl add the oat flour, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix.
- Combine the wet ingredients. In a medium bowl, add the bananas and mash them into a paste. Stir in honey, oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Then fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Make batter. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir everything together until there are no more dry ingredients
- Pour batter into muffin tin. Add two tablespoons of batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake. Place the muffin tin into the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350ºF and continue baking for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely and serve.