A tried & true Mediterranean staple, Pesto! Made with pine nuts, garlic, parmesan reggiano, pecorino romano, & olive oil, this hearty homemade easy pesto is loaded with simple ingredients. Made with just 8 ingredients in 15 minutes or less, easy pesto is a versatile fridge staple that pairs with anything from pasta to a simple salad.
- ⅓ cup pine nutes toasted
- ¼ cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese finely grated
- ¼ cup Pecorino Romano cheese finely grated
- 1 large garlic clove roughly chopped
- 2 cup basil leaves
- 6 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 pinch salt
Add the cheese, pine nuts, and garlic to a food processor and process until you've achieved a crumb.
Once the nutty mixture is coarsely ground, then you'll add the basil leaves and give a quick pulse to combine. The basil should look roughly chopped. Remove the lid and scrape down the sides.
With the processor running on low speed, slowly pour the extra virgin olive oil. Do not run the processor too long; you want to have a little bit of texture to your basil pesto.
Remove the blade from the food processor, then add a pinch of salt and lemon. (if using) Taste and adjust to your liking.
- You eat the pesto straight away or store it in a jar with a tight-fitting lid for up to 1 week.
- If storing for later, add a generous drizzle of olive oil to the top of the pesto to form an oily seal so the pesto doesn't turn dark. Simply stir the oil into the sauce before using.
- If you freeze the pesto in a tightly closed freezer-safe jar, use the pesto within 3 months.
- For smaller amounts, pour the pesto into ice cube trays and freeze until hard. Once frozen, transfer the pesto cubes to a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.