Simple, traditional, yummy…this Perfect Pumpkin French Toast hits all the comfort food must haves! It’s a perfect seasonal, kid-friendly breakfast that’s so YUMMY!
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 and 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 loaf of brioche, stale
- ghee as needed
- Sliced almonds, as needed
- Heat oven: set your oven to the warming setting. You’ll need a warm oven to store your toast while you finish cooking the rest of the toast.
- Pumpkin egg mixture: in a large bowl, add the eggs, pumpkin, milk, spices, sugar and vanilla. Whisk everything together really well. I use an electric whisk to achieve a really smooth mixture, free from any eggy streaks.
- Heat the pan/griddle: using a non-stick large frying pan or griddle pan, heat on medium-high. Once warmed, add 1/2 tsp ghee to the pan (you can use butter, but I find the milk solids burn).
- Dip and Cook: Dip a piece of brioche into the pumpkin egg mixture, quickly coat both sides and place it onto the pan. Allow it to cook for 3 minutes, then flip. Cook the other side for 3 minutes then transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
- Keep Warm: Place the plate of cooked french toast into the oven to keep warm while you’re finishing the rest of the bread.
- Serve: place three pieces of pumpkin french toast onto a plate, drizzle on the maple syrup and sprinkle with almonds.
- Gluten-free folks, swap the bread for stale gluten-free bread.
- Replace the cow’s milk with non-dairy milk. Coconut, soy, almond, cashew, oat or rice milk make great substitutions.
- French toast freezes really well! Don’t be scared to cook the whole loaf and store it for later. Just pop the frozen slices in a toaster for a quick breakfast.
- Using an electric griddle pan will speed up the cooking time.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: stove-top
- Serving Size: 3 slice
Keywords: French toast, pumpkin spice, pumpkin french toast, breakfast