Mediterranean Apple Walnut Salad. It’s a MUST for delicious, glowy eating! Roasted Walnut, crunchy apples, smoky grains and pockets of sweet gem-like cranberries. It’s like eating all the best of autumn in a bowl!
- 1/2 cup freekeh, dried
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp Allspice, ground
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 cup Water
Lemon Honey Dressing
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon juiced)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried minced garlic
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp black peppercorns, grinded
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cup baby spinach
- 1 large sweet apple, (gala, tango, or pink lady) 1″ inch cubes
- 1/4 cup cranberries, dried
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, roasted
Prepare the Freekeh
- Wash the Freekeh. Remove any stones or debris from the freekeh. Place the freekeh into a large prep bowl. Fill the bowl of freekeh with water, swoosh the freekeh around in the bowl a few times, pour out the water in fast motion in between rinses. All the freekeh should remain at the bottom of the bowl except for the debris rising to the top of the water. Rinse the freekeh about three times; during the final rinse, remove all water from the grains. You’ll see the difference from the first rinse to the third: the debris will be less, and the water should be clear.
- Cooking the freekeh. Fill a medium-size pot with the 4 cups of boiling water, add the freekeh, cinnamon allspice and salt. Turn the heat on a medium-high and simmer the grains for 25 minutes. Once cooked, turn off the stove and drain the freekeh in a mesh colander to remove the remaining water. Place the freekeh back into the pot and set aside until really to use.
Mix the Dressing
- Place all of the dressing ingredients into a small jar, seal, and shake to combine. Set the dressing aside.
I recommend preparing the dressing well the freekeh is cooking and allowing the dressing to sit for a bit of time.
Finishing the Salad
- Place the baby spinach into a shallow salad bowl, top with warm freekeh.
- Add the shallots, apples and cranberries.
- Pour on the dressing and mix everything together.