A simple, floral, orange-dressed Winter Beetroot & Carrot Salad that can last for days ahead of time, and it's vegan too? I know it sounds too good to be true, but this salad is the real tasty deal, friends!
Winter Beetroot & Carrot Salad
Winter salads can be just as exciting as summer salads, and this winter beetroot & carrot salad recipe proves it!
This Winter Carrot & Beetroot Salad is so hearty that it's fit for a delicious winter main meal. It's jam-packed with delicious flavours from the fresh carrots, beetroots, cabbage and chickpeas all bathed in simple yet sweet orange dressing with subtle floral notes from the orange blossom water. That's what I call an exciting winter salad!
To be honest, I tend to gravitate towards warm salads versus cooler ones during the wintertime, but this salad has everything I find crave-worthy! Crunchy texture with pops of sweetness and surprisingly perfect dressing to top it off. I'm pretty sure you'll love this salad too!
What You'll Need to Make the Winter Beetroot & Carrot Salad
Cooked Beetroots: You can purchase precooked beetroot at most grocery stores and save time with the preparation. However, cooking beetroots isn't difficult; you simply wash the roots and boil them in water for 40 minutes. Once the beets are soft enough for a fork to pierce through them, remove them from heat and drain the water. Place the beets into cold water and rub the skin off.
Carrots: regular ol' orange carrots and rainbow can be used for this recipe; I love the rainbow as they give a nice pop of colour. However, after some time, everything in the will turn pink, thanks to the beets.
Purple Cabbage: You can swap it with regular cabbage if you must, but slice it as thin as possible.
Chickpeas: These perfect and versatile little legumes give this salad it's heartiness; however, you can swap these for other beans if you wish.
The Dressing: A simple blend of olive oil, raw apple cider, garlic, orange juice, honey, and orange blossom water. you'll be surprisingly delighted at the tastiness of this dressing. Don't skip out on the orange blossom; it's worth seeking it out. Plus, Amazon will have it to you in no time. (the links are in the recipe card)
Garnish: I've topped this salad off with flakes of almonds, chewy pieces of apricots, and a sprinkle of parsley just for a touch of green.
- Beetroots can be cooked up to five days ahead of time.
- The salad can last 3-4 days in the fridge; however, keep in mind the salad will turn completely pink.
- For the best presentation of the salad, assemble just before serving, so all the colours are still separate.
- You can save time by using a food processor with a shredding and slicing attachment.
IF YOU LOVE MEDITERRANEAN RECIPES, subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for the latest updates and recipes.
Winter Beetroot & Carrot Salad
Winter Carrot & Beetroot Salad is so hearty that it’s fit for a delicious winter main meal jam-packed with fresh carrots, beetroots and cabbage all bathed in simple yet sweet orange dressing with subtle floral notes from the orange blossom water.
- 3 medium-sized rainbow carrots, peeled & shredded
- 2 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 beetroots, cooked, peeled, shredded
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, liquid removed
- 2 tablespoon fresh Parsely diced
- ⅓ cup almond slices, toasted
- ¼ cup dried apricots, diced
sweet Orange dressing
- ⅛ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon honey*
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Prepare your beetroots. If you're starting this salad with fresh beetroots, you'll need to cook them first. Place your washed beetroots into a 6qt pot, fill with hot water, cover and simmer over medium-high heat until the beetroot are soft enough to poke a fork in the beet with ease—approximately 40 minutes.
- Shred your Veg. Shredded all of your carrots and beetroot. Thinly slice the red cabbage⏤A food processor with a shredding and slicing attachment is best for this salad.
- Mix the salad. In a large bowl add the carrots, beetroot, cabbage, and chickpeas. Pour on the dressing and taste to see if more salt is needed.
- Prepare your salad dressing. In a small mason jar with a lid, add all of the dressing ingredients. Shake vigorously.
- Plate your Salad. Pour the salad mixture into a nice serving bowl. Top the salad with parsley, apricots, and toasted almond slices.
- Serve alongside a meal or increase the portion size and make it a meal.
To keep this recipe vegan you can swap the honey for vegan-friendly bee-free honey or leave it out of the recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 284mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 6g
Looking for more Salad Idea?
Leave a Reply